AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN & OUTDOOR COOKING
AND CAMPING FORUM

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

Our ForumsForum Help Privacy Policy Search

RegisterLogin Me In

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Cooking table made from a farmer's plow disk (Read 8648 times)

May 21st, 2008 at 1:48am

joanne   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
Keep your coals hot!

Hi all,

I have seen a few folks who have made a cooking table out of one of the disks from a farmer's plow. These disks are about 1/2 a meter across so it's just right for a single pot.

I decided to make my own and here's how I did it. I welded a plug in the hole in the center of the disk, then welded some pipe couplers to the bottom so I can have screw-in legs. The wind screen is held in place by three bolts with wing nuts so it's easy to remove when you are packing to travel.

These tables work really well when you aren't allowed to cook directly on the ground. (Depending on where we cook, we often have restrictions about cooking on the ground). If you can convince a farmer to part with some of his old disks, it's really inexpensive to build.

These tables are only wide enough for one oven, but are plenty strong to stack to your heart's content. It also comes apart and packs down very nicely.

Joanne

Watch me build my own camping trailer! Project Desert Dawg
IP Logged  

Reply #1 - May 21st, 2008 at 8:00am

poddy dodger   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Really nice job Joanne, now I had some discs somewhere......

pd

When I die I hope my missus doesn't sell my camp ovens  for what I told her I paid for them. pd
IP Logged  

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2008 at 8:16am

BillyBushCook   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
Some one said they wanted
hot coals??

Nice one Jo,
Do you do your own welding??
That's one thing I've noticed about the the US, there is a lot of female welders, over here, I have never known one & I work in the industry!

Mick.

Live while your'e alive, you can sleep when your'e dead.
IP Logged  

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2008 at 10:26am

Derek   Offline
COCIA Caretaker
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

Thanks for sharing that Joanne.

Now who can I get to make me one .......... or two   Smiley

Retired
Camp Oven Cook
IP Logged  

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2008 at 10:32am

poddy dodger   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I often see discs for sale at country markets, they vary in price from $5 to $10.
pd

When I die I hope my missus doesn't sell my camp ovens  for what I told her I paid for them. pd
IP Logged  

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2008 at 11:17am

joanne   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
Keep your coals hot!

poddy dodger wrote on May 21st, 2008 at 8:00am:
Really nice job Joanne, now I had some discs somewhere......

pd

Thanks for the complement! While these tables aren't perfect for everyone, they are pretty easy to make and not too expensive. Some folks up here also use the disks as a large skillet for making fajitas or stir-fry.

Joanne

IP Logged  

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2008 at 11:39am

joanne   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
Keep your coals hot!

BillyBushCook wrote on May 21st, 2008 at 8:16am:
Nice one Jo,
Do you do your own welding??
That's one thing I've noticed about the the US, there is a lot of female welders, over I have never known one & I work in the industry!

Mick.

Hi Mick,

Actually I do my own welding. When I was little my dad sponsored my cousin's race car. We would spend Saturday's over at my cousin's as they worked on the car. I wanted to help so my cousin taught me how to weld. Surprisingly it has been a very handy skill to have learned. I've done a surprising amount of welding through the years.

Since you are a welder, you'd have no problem whipping up a cooking table in almost any configuration you want.

Here's a link to the other table I made.
http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194475178/30#44

Joanne

IP Logged  

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2008 at 1:01pm

skiproosel   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
Box Monster

Zodiac sign: Taurus

Hi Joanne,
            great table I have been gathering bits to make one similar but will double as a BBQ. It is getting more difficult to find discs that are worn out, and when one does they usually have scalloped cutting edges. Your disc looks like the cutting edge is complete and undamaged, is it a new one?

Regards Skip

IP Logged  

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2008 at 2:02pm

BillyBushCook   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
Some one said they wanted
hot coals??

joanne wrote on May 21st, 2008 at 11:39am:
Hi Mick,

Surprisingly it has been a very handy skill to have learned. I've done a surprising amount of welding through the years.

Since you are a welder, you'd have no problem whipping up a cooking table in almost any configuration you want.

Joanne

Actually I am a Fitter/machinist by trade (primarily a machinist) & in my 30's I went back & did Mechanical engineering so I now work as an engineer,
but I do a lot of welding, especially with aluminium & I agree it is a very handy thing to know, even more so when you can machine the things you weld together, it becomes endless!!

keep it up!!! Smiley Smiley

Mick.

Live while your'e alive, you can sleep when your'e dead.
IP Logged  

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:25am

OzJeeper   Offline
COCIA Platinum Member
The Cookenator - I terminate
food!

Anyone Melbourne-ish, I have 2 spare plough discs about this size sitting around doing nothing.  Free to a good home.   Cool

My mother-in-law fell down a wishing well, I was amazed.       I never knew they worked.
IP Logged  

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:55pm

joanne   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
Keep your coals hot!

skiproosel wrote on May 21st, 2008 at 1:01pm:
Hi Joanne,
            great table I have been gathering bits to make one similar but will double as a BBQ. It is getting more difficult to find discs that are worn out, and when one does they usually have scalloped cutting edges. Your disc looks like the cutting edge is complete and undamaged, is it a new one?

Regards Skip

Skip,

They are all used disks, but are in good shape. NorCal Dave gave them to me so I want to make good use of them. It's perfect if you aren't trying to cook for a big crowd of folks. I'll be making myself one to take when I don't need my big table. I also like the idea of recycling the old disks. Giving them a second life so to speak.

Another friend has gotten me some scalloped disks that I'll use too. I think the ones he grabbed had small scallops. Should work OK.

Joanne

IP Logged  

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:58pm

joanne   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
Keep your coals hot!

BillyBushCook wrote on May 21st, 2008 at 2:02pm:
Actually I am a Fitter/machinist by trade (primarily a machinist) & in my 30's I went back & did Mechanical engineering so I now work as an engineer,
but I do a lot of welding, especially with aluminium & I agree it is a very handy thing to know, even more so when you can machine the things you weld together, it becomes endless!!

keep it up!!! 

Mick.

Mick,

Thanks for the nice words! I've never welded aluminum but would love to have someone teach me. I know how to gas weld, so I'd love to learn TIG welding. There could be some fun projects. I've not done any machining. All my work to date has been with hand tools, drills, grinders and such. No cool machinery.

Joanne

IP Logged  

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2008 at 6:35pm

Nelson   Offline
COCIA Platinum Member
I Love COCIA

Zodiac sign: Leo

Hi Joanne, great work love the table, it’s given me a idea on how to make one   Smiley

IP Logged  

Pages: 1 
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

Australia’s Very Own Camp Oven & Outdoor Cooking And Camping Forum Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.9402 seconds.

Privacy Policy

Registration Agreement