AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time - DST
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA® Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA® Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SPRING VEGETABLE & CHEESE TORTA (Read 3840 times)

Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:26pm

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

Spring vegetable and goat's cheese torta

I saw this on FRESH today and after Barb mentioning Broadbeans were seasonable thought it would be a healthy dish that could easily be done in a CO.  It was mentioned that it was a blokes kind of pastry and sturdy to work with.  The vegies could be varied and may left over if any baked ones used.

INGREDIENTS

pastry
1 cup plain flour
1 cup wholemeal plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
150ml water

2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
200g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
125g cherry tomatoes
100g beans, trimmed and halved
100g broadbeans (blanched and skinned)
6 silverbeet leaves, coarsely chopped and wilted
150g goat’s cheese, crumbled (use other cheese if preferred)
1 egg, lightly beaten

METHOD

Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C (fan forced). OR GET THE FIRE OR BEADS READY

To make the pastry, place the flours, oil, salt and water into a large mixing bowl, stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a stiff dough. Knead for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Meanwhile, place potato into a saucepan of salted boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until just tender. Drain and coarsely crush with a fork, allow to cool.

Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat, add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Remove pastry from refrigerator and roll ½ the dough into a 35cm disc and place on a greased and lined baking sheet.

Place potato in an even layer over pastry leaving a 2cm space around the edge. Top with onions, pumpkin, cherry tomatoes and beans. Place the silverbeet and goat’s cheese over the top, season with salt and pepper.

Roll out remaining pastry to cover. Brush edges with egg and seal by crimping. Cut holes in the top and brush with egg.

Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden.

IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:30pm

BillyBushCook   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
Some one said they wanted
hot coals??

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

What's the trick with the pastry Carolyn? it looks nice & flaky, every time I try a pie pastry it ends up like short crust, have tried to make puff pastry once or twice & ended up dissapointed.
All too easy to go for the frozen sheets! even out of the esky.

Mick

Live while your'e alive, you can sleep when your'e dead.
IP Logged  

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 7:37am

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

Sorry BBC the picture is the one from the show I havent actually made it just thought it was a good healthy recipe that would go ok camping and in the CO.  I was pleased with the shortcrust I used on the Lemon Pie as I am not that good on pastry and use the frozen stuff mostly.

I was surfing the other day and I cant remember where or what or who and they had what they said was a foolproof pastry.  It was a mixture of cream cheese and butter and refrigerated and looked lovely and flakey.  Sometimes these things float back into the brain LOL.  I thought I had put it in favs but cant find it.  I know we used to  make pastry by rolling and spreading with butter and folding doing it again and again.

I really like phyllo pastry best as you can keep the fat down and still get flakey pastry and it cooks well in the CO.  The only problem for with it is that I never find refreezing the unused works.

IP Logged  

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 12:22pm

BillyBushCook   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
Some one said they wanted
hot coals??

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Me too on the Filo (spelling) I find that it goes really brittle when re-frozen even though the package says it is OK,
I find it a bit delicate for a good meaty pie crust thats why I'm wanting to get my puff pastry methods down pat!
I watched a guy make it on "Kiwi Kitchen" (Austar) & he made it look easy, using butter & lard by folding it over & over as you said,
My wifes friend the chef has been promissing me a lend of a pastry book for about 6 months now, Hmmmm...Time to remind her again!!!

Mick.

Live while your'e alive, you can sleep when your'e dead.
IP Logged  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 1.2181 seconds.