AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN & OUTDOOR COOKING
AND CAMPING FORUM

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

Our ForumsForum Help Privacy Policy Search

RegisterLogin Me In

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 ... 164
Send Topic Print
Camp Ovens On Ebay (Read 405879 times)

Reply #1550 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 5:41pm

Kingbrown   Offline
COCIA Platinum Member
I Love COCIA

Coraki, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Aries

Quote:
as it was still a furphy and a desired size for couples without children that just want a small camp oven that can be packed away easy  in the caravan or camp trailer .

I think they will be in for a shock lol. I have one and it weighs more than my 15 inch Harding  Grin

IP Logged  

Reply #1551 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 6:03pm

marty e   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Zodiac sign: Cancer

The furphy is Chinese all the way, as for the sovereign hill oven when Harding stopped making there ovens sovereign hill brought the molds and got billmans to make them I am with you jeff  all these non genuine ovens being sole as genuine not right need to do your research

IP Logged  

Reply #1552 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 6:12pm

BGW71   Offline
COCIA Gold Member
I Love COCIA

Palmwoods, Australia

Zodiac sign: Pisces

Not sure of the weight between the 10" furphy or the 15" Harding as I don't have either KB but to tell you the truth I nearly brought the 10" furphy in question to fill the gap in my collection until I got the real deal then I would have sold the Chinese 1 on

IP Logged  

Reply #1553 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 7:52pm

mikel   Offline
COCIA Hall Of Fame

new england area nsw au, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Virgo

Is it not time to take a breather here you blokes?
I also know Jack personally and would vouch for his integrity. Smiley
But I reckon its also worth noting the origins of the term "furphy"...Australian slang for something erogenous or without basis in fact.....a tall story (which may include eroticism Wink) in other words.
Most of the original Furphy CO's I have seen, would not give 20 bucks for anyway, poor quality casting, way over rated. Huh
mikel

life is a bed of gidgee coals and a camp oven
IP Logged  

Reply #1554 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:32pm

Saltbush Bill   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
"WANTED 13 inch Metters
camp oven"

Lismore, New South Wales, Australia

There seems to be several sets of standards here, depending on who's shoes you are standing in.
Ive heard members of this forum brag about buying  quantities of very collectable ovens from uneducated sellers for a fraction of their proper value. Did they feel as if they ripped the seller off..or simply got a good buy?...Did they offer the seller more than his asking price or tell him that his ovens were worth much, much more? I doubt it very much Grin.
Yet if a seller gets a few bob more for an oven than is deemed normal , hes the worst person on earth.
Its an unforgiving world out there folks ...buyer and seller beware.

mikel wrote on Mar 6th, 2017 at 7:52pm:
Most of the original Furphy CO's I have seen, would not give 20 bucks for anyway, poor quality casting, way over rated. Huh

I couldn't agree more Mikel, they are one of the worst built ovens around.  Heavy ugly and badly cast, their only real value is as a collectable, and that from a bloke who owns about 9 of the things

IP Logged  

Reply #1555 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:52pm

shackles   Offline
COCIA Legend
I Love COCIA

Yorke Peninsula, South Australia, Australia

Mood:

I have been to clearing sales where I have seen buyers who want an item put up their hand at the first bid and not take it down till the last bid the winning bid is theirs. They must have it no matter the cost.
But I have never seen the auctioneer pause the auction to tell the potential buyer the item is not worth any more than the last bid. Buyer beware.

Can't Get Full On Fancy
IP Logged  

Reply #1556 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:59pm

BGW71   Offline
COCIA Gold Member
I Love COCIA

Palmwoods, Australia

Zodiac sign: Pisces

Saltbush Bill wrote on Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:32pm:
There seems to be several sets of standards here, depending on who's shoes you are standing in.
Ive heard members of this forum brag about
buying  quantities of very collectable ovens from uneducated sellers for a fraction of their proper value. Did they feel as if they ripped the seller off..or simply got a good buy?...Did they offer the seller more than his asking price or tell him that his ovens were worth much, much more? I doubt it very much Grin.
Yet if a seller gets a few bob more for an oven than is deemed normal , hes the worst person on earth.
Its an unforgiving world out there folks ...buyer and seller beware.

mikel wrote on Mar 6th, 2017 at 7:52pm:

Good point Rory and I admit I have been guilty of both

IP Logged  

Reply #1557 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 11:33pm

Kingbrown   Offline
COCIA Platinum Member
I Love COCIA

Quote:
as for the sovereign hill oven when Harding stopped making there ovens sovereign hill brought the molds and got billmans to make them

Yes they did Marty but I was talking about a year when the Hardings foundry was still in production. I went to Sovereign Hill for the day with my then girlfriend and they had Harding ovens there for sale with Sovereign Hill written on them back in the 80's.
Quote:
Ive heard members of this forum brag about buying  quantities of very collectable ovens from uneducated sellers for a fraction of their proper value

Yep I will put my hand up for this too BGW and SBB, and I have also been guilty of over paying for something I wanted and I probably will again one day  Grin
Quote:
Not sure of the weight between the 10" furphy or the 15" Harding as I don't have either KB but to tell you the truth I nearly brought the 10" furphy in question to fill the gap in my collection until I got the real deal then I would have sold the Chinese 1 on

Well a 15 inch Harding is a seriously solid oven and way bigger than a ten inch Chinese Furphy but I put their total weight to be about the same. I have not actually weighed them but those little Chinese things are chunky buggers.
Quote:
I have been to clearing sales where I have seen buyers who want an item put up their hand at the first bid and not take it down till the last bid the winning bid is theirs

This is pretty much my life story haha, either my arms get tired or my wallet gets empty so I go home from the auction empty handed.

IP Logged  

Reply #1558 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 12:43am

Kingbrown   Offline
COCIA Platinum Member
I Love COCIA

Quote:
I couldn't agree more Mikel, they are one of the worst built ovens around.  Heavy ugly and badly cast, their only real value is as a collectable, and that from a bloke who owns about 9 of the things

You poor thing SBB but don't despair, I have a few perfectly cast smooth and shiny new Chinese ovens here that I would be happy to do a trade with you for one of these horrible old Furphy's. Of course I would be happy to add some folding stuff in to sweeten the deal now I do realise the Furphy's are collectible but I know how fair you are to trade with so lets say I give you a pineapple and a shiny new oven for each of them.  Grin Grin

IP Logged  

Reply #1559 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 5:38pm

Saltbush Bill   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
"WANTED 13 inch Metters
camp oven"

Lismore, New South Wales, Australia

Its not often that you see an 8 inch oven go through ebay. There are two of them at the moment.
It will be interesting to see what they bring.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Furphy-8-inch-Camp-Oven-Kangaroo-trademark-MADE-IN-AU...
If I was going to bid on this Metters 8 Id want a better photo of the legs ....something doesn't look quite right.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metters-8-inch-Camp-Oven-Cast-Iron-Good-Condition-no-...

IP Logged  

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 ... 164
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

Australia’s Very Own Camp Oven & Outdoor Cooking And Camping Forum Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 1.2604 seconds.

Privacy Policy

Registration Agreement