AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time - DST
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA® Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA® Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TOMATO COBBLER (Read 2979 times)

Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:45am

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

I gave this a try recently and although I squashed it for my shallow camp oven it still tasted nice and I reheated some left overs for breakfast.  I have ordered a deeper camp oven from Amazon but still think next time I would make it straight into the camp oven and not in a foil dish.  I cant see why zuchinni and/or mushrooms couldnt be added to the base.

Tomato Cobbler...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
Filling
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 pounds cherry or grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Topping
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Coarse salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese (2 1/4 ounces), plus 1 tablespoon, for sprinkling
1-1/2 cups heavy cream, plus more for brushing

Directions:
1) To make filling: Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool. Toss onion mixture, tomatoes, basil, flour, and red-pepper flakes with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and some pepper.
2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3) To make biscuit topping: Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers until small clumps form. Stir in cheese, then add cream, stirring with a fork to combine until dough forms. (Dough will be slightly sticky.)
4) Transfer tomato mixture to a 2-quart baking dish (2 inches deep). Spoon 7 clumps of biscuit dough (about 1/2 cup each) over top in a circle, leaving center open. Brush dough with cream, and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon cheese. Bake until tomatoes are bubbling in the center and biscuits are golden brown, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cool for 20 minutes. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

IP Logged  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.5124 seconds.