AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA® Website COCIA® On Youtube Support COCIA® Photo Gallery

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electronics Upgrade On The Motorhome (Read 1326 times)

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 5:19pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

Sikaflex 252 Brian.  No screws.  Brackets are 50X50 aluminium angles.

Have used it before on solar panels.  It is designed to withstand high dynamic stresses

Retired
Writer
Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean

Derek & Maggie's Travel Blog
IP Logged  

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:31am

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Mood:

Have been very, very happy with the system so far.  Generally we are back to full charge by 9.30 am just using solar.

The most amps I have seen going in with the solar is just over 27 amps so pretty pleased with that considering the solar controller is only a 30 amp one.

If I start the motor before batteries are fully charged, as soon as the DC2DC charger kicks in it is immediately throwing in 29 amps until the charge floats and it drops down to next to nothing as it does with solar.

I did think I had a problem for a while as the 50 amp inline fuse at the main battery kept throwing out.  I went through everything over and over several times and in the end replaced the fuse with a new one and now all good.

Lesson learned there was don’t always trust cheap eBay products from China.  I paid $9.95 for what is a $35 fuse over here.

Currently bunkered down in heavy rain and winds so this will be a test for the system without any sun.  This morning the state of charge of the house batteries is 92.7% so I reckon we could go for three days before I need to start the motor to use the DC2DC Charger.

I certainly do not need the generator that is taking up space in the trailer.  The only time I could ever see us using it would be in hot weather for the airconditioner.

Retired
Writer
Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean

IP Logged  

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:10pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Mood:

Since leaving home I haven’t used 240 power to charge the batteries at all.  All the charging has been done either from the Ducato motor or solar.

Even with rain have not had one day where we haven’t fully recharged to 100% state of charge on the batteries.  Have not had to use the spare portable solar panel once so it may go when we get home.

Very happy with the operation of the fridge.  I have it on setting two with the highest setting five (biggest light) being the coldest.

As you can see the freezer is currently minus 18 and the fridge 5 degrees.  Freezer rarely moves from that unless we put unfrozen food in there and the fridge floats between 3 and 5.

Other good thing is it doesn’t seen to vary between gas, 12 volt while underway or 240 volt operation.

Retired
Writer
Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean

IP Logged  

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:51pm

Smokeydk   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
loves camping if it aren't
raining

Old Noarlunga, South Australia, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Gemini

Wednesday we had to go to Home of 12V Mt Barker...to get a replacement battery charger...as when away last year..on 240v...I noticed the solar was putting in 3.4amps...that shouldnt happened ....lifted the bed where charger is mounted and it was dead ... cause we dont check the charger...it could have died 3 years ago and never noticed....just shows our little 80w solar was keeping our 120amphr battery fully charged

We now have a Projecta Intelli-charger 25A $369.00

Derek you like gauges etc...what/where would you mount the extra monitor extension

IP Logged  

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 8:45am

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Mood:

Very nice piece of gear Dave.  I nearly bought a Projecta DC2DC Charger when I was doing mine.

I have a Projecta 600 watt inverter that has a monitor looks just like that.

Yours should have quite a lengthy cable that has plugs on the end like a telephone cable so you can basically put it wherever you want within the length of that cable.

Mine allows me to turn the inverter off and on so I put it on the side of the bed base near the extension cord for the inverter.  I just plug in whatever I am using then turn it on.

I would just put it somewhere you can easily see it.

I know you will read the manual but the big thing with the intelli chargers like ours is setting them up for the right chemistry to start with.  I have two gel batteries.

I bought a 40 amp 240 volt charger for this motorhome and have only used it at home when I set it up.  It’s main purpose for me is that if we are sitting somewhere in the bush and get some really heavy cloudy days then I can stick the generator on and charge fairly quickly without running the genni for hours.

Like I said, it’s a great piece of gear you have and you certainly won’t regret it.

Here is a photo of my monitor on the side of the bed base.  The extension is a cube that has several power points and two USB chargers.

Retired
Writer
Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean

IP Logged  

Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 7:46pm

Smokeydk   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
raining

Mood:

Thanks Derek.........I got something right this week after all

IP Logged  

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 8:01pm

Smokeydk   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
raining

Mood:

When we were there...a chap had a look at the 80w solar panel they put on our van roof few years back.....he was laughing at how old technology it was..

Hey!!! I paid $1,100 for it in 2008.......it cant be that out of date....can it??

DSCF2092_001.JPG (169 KB | )
DSCF2092_001.JPG
IP Logged  

Pages: 1 2 
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 1.1487 seconds.