AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time - DST
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA® Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA® Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taking Robustus Camping. (Read 648 times)

May 30th, 2018 at 11:04am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Herberton, Queensland, Australia

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Rather than post trips in my camper build I thought I would start a new thread on trips I am taking it on. These trips for now will be local as I need the just test things and just  get used to using it.

My first true test run was to Barrabadeen, this is the Scout camp on Tinaroo.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Camp-Barrabadeen-1717728998457298/about/?ref=page_in...

This was a good run, as it was a trip to test how my Nissan will tow it.

I had worried about oil temps in the auto transmission. I have always had a oil temp gauge in the Nissan, but until now it was more ornamental as I never towed some as heavy for long. Normal running over the weekend towing it gets up to 70deg coming up the range back to home it went to 81deg. I am happy with that as I think anything around 80deg is good.
I changed the air compressor cut out switch to 150psi off 120psi on, this worked better as it now gives me a pressure to work with easier. I am still to fit the new compressor though.
As I stet the camper up on a bit of a sideling I was able to inflate one side up and deflate the high side down.
Some photos of the weekend.

IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2018 at 11:11am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Last weekend we went out to Woodleigh Station.

http://www.woodleighstation.com.au/

This is one of my favourite camping places where we often go to. It is a round trip of around 135klm.
From home there is plenty of up and down towing, so I thought this might be a good test on fuel, even though it is not to far. My Nissan has never been good with fuel economy, so I have thought it could be worse now, towing the new camper. I filled my rear tank at our local fuel station, and on return I parked it back in the same place to be sure of the refill amount.
The trip used around 28.1ltr per 100klm, this was traveling at the speed limits on the road, and not trying to conserve at all. This is no worse than when I had the old camper, which has surprised me.

That is not me on the ant hill. Smiley

IP Logged  

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2018 at 6:35am

Saltbush Bill   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
"WANTED 13 inch Metters
camp oven"

Lismore, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Cancer

Excellent to see the job done and dusted, and you using it John. Its been a long project. Congratulations on finishing it and hitting the road.

IP Logged  

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2018 at 7:07am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Saltbush Bill wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 6:35am:
Excellent to see the job done and dusted, and you using it John. Its been a long project. Congratulations on finishing it and hitting the road.

I still have quite a bit to finish, but I can now use it, so I am planing on doing just that. Smiley

IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 8:02am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

We went out to Mt Albion Station for the weekend, I wanted to test our water usage camping. From our usage so far, we should get 4 nights showering and at least the same from the kitchen system.
I am having trouble with water leaking from one of the water level senders, I have refitted the sender but I am still having a leak around the rubber grommet and nut.
As for the camping spot, this is not far from home, only 32klm, part of the road gravel. The road has just been graded so it was in very good condition.
I will go out again as I found the camp to be for me quite good, and the station owner friendly.

http://www.aussiefarmentertainment.com.au/mont-albion/camping-at-mt-albion/

Some photos of our trip out to Mt Albion.

Mt_Albion_01.jpg (301 KB | )
Mt_Albion_01.jpg
Mt_Albion_02.jpg (334 KB | )
Mt_Albion_02.jpg
Mt_Albion_03.jpg (338 KB | )
Mt_Albion_03.jpg
Mt_Albion_04.jpg (344 KB | )
Mt_Albion_04.jpg
Mt_Albion_05.jpg (299 KB | )
Mt_Albion_05.jpg
IP Logged  

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 8:13am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

There is quite a bit of history to look into in this area, over the years I have traveled along some of the old rail was sections, now just cuttings and track foundations as the old line was removed for scrap.

http://www.mininghistory.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/4.-Kerr.Article-4Vol.3.2005.c...

https://environment.ehp.qld.gov.au/heritage-register/detail/?id=602355

In one under ground mine I worked in,( Kitchener as mentioned in the Journal of Australasian Mining History,)  the steam train ran underground to be loaded with the tin ore to later crushed and concentrated ready to be smelted at Rocky Bluffs battery and Irvinebank. You can still see the soot on the roof of this underground tunnel today, but i think access is now limited.
Irvinebank also had it's own smelter to smelt the tin concentrate  into pure tin.My father was the last person to my knowledge to have operated this smelter before closing down.

IP Logged  

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 6:08pm

Derek   Online
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

Some great looking camps up around your way John.  Thanks for the photos and links

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:14am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

I have a few I want to try locally, as I keep working on the camper. I might as well post them up as it might be handy if anyone in looking for a spot to go camping up here.

IP Logged  

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 4:42pm

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

With the good weather we are having it was a good run down to Roxy Springs, not to hot and no rain.

https://www.facebook.com/roxyspringsbushcamping/

The owners charge $20 per vehicle, and there are no services supplied and you take your rubbish home.

The drive down was only 45klm to the turn off, and not far to the camp from there. It is a steep drop from the road though, but nothing to worry about.

IP Logged  

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 4:44pm

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

There are several good camping spots along the river. With no one else there we could choose any where we liked. In the end  we ended up on the top most camp.

The river has a good flow at present so we always had the sound of running water in camp, and the mornings were a little cool.

I know I will be going back. This time I might even take a fishing rod, and see if I can get a fish or two.

IP Logged  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 1.0973 seconds.