AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA (COCIA)
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time - DST
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
C C Harding & Sons (Read 34634 times)

Reply #30 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 6:12pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

Just to add to the info above, we drove to Ballarat today.  Was a miserable rainy day and probably should have stayed home.

Information provided by the Federation Museum in Ballarat is that the CC Harding & Sons Foundry was situated at 1126 Doveton Street, Ballarat.

In the photo below my car is situated right outside that address.  The whole block now has housing for the aged built right over it.

CCHarding.JPG (92 KB | )
CCHarding.JPG

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Billmans Foundry - Australian Manufacturer of Cast Iron Camp Ovens

Reply #31 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 6:13pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:

Very disappointed in Imageshack in that a lot of the photos that were on this page have gone.

If you still have them would be nice to see them reposted.

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Reply #32 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 6:59pm

Saltbush Bill   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
"WANTED 13 inch Metters
camp oven"

Lismore, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Cancer

Stump Jump wrote on Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:11am:
I've heard there are some Harding repo/fake's out there doing the rounds

SJ Im wondering why you think yours could possibly be a repo?
It looks very similar to a 13 inch Harding that I traded another oven for not long ago.
Mine has the Harding writing on the inside of the lid only. The base has no writing at all, but is unmistakable as a Harding.
The one I have appears to be very old as it has some pitting in the base due to neglect over the years. I would suggest that the Harding's with no phone number and marked on the inside of the lid are some of the very early ovens that Hardings made.
Chally would be the man to talk to ...he seems to have the "mother load" of Harding information stored away somewhere.

IP Logged  

Reply #33 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 5:02pm

Stump Jump   Offline
COCIA® Platinum Member
I love to cook with camp
ovens

Victoria, Victoria, Australia

Zodiac sign: Cancer

Saltbush Bill wrote on Jun 28th, 2016 at 6:59pm:
Stump Jump wrote on Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:11am:
I've heard there are some Harding repo/fake's out there doing the rounds

SJ Im wondering why you think yours could possibly be a repo?
It looks very similar to a 13 inch Harding that I traded another oven for not long ago.
Mine has the Harding writing on the inside of the lid only. The base has no writing at all, but is unmistakable as a Harding.
The one I have appears to be very old as it has some pitting in the base due to neglect over the years. I would suggest that the Harding's with no phone number and marked on the inside of the lid are some of the very early ovens that Hardings made.
Chally would be the man to talk to ...he seems to have the "mother load" of Harding information stored away somewhere.

G'day SB,
Sorry for the late reply.
In answer to your question, l wondered whether it was a fake because it was very inexpensive, it looked new and without any sign of weathering or age. To all intents and purposes it could have easily passed for leaving the factory gate yesterday. To my mind the mint condition of the unit was very unusual considering the time which has elapsed since C C Harding pots were fabricated. Further, there was a rumour going around Central Victoria at the time that a backyard foundry were fabricating fake Harding COs and cashing in on their collectability and popularity, particularly considering that Harding were no longer in business and their ovens were fetching astronomical prices on the secondhand market

Since then l have compared my Harding with  another similar pot which the owners family apparently bought directly from the Harding factory and the two pots match very closely.

I now believe that my beloved 13 incher is a genuine Harding and that l was very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to pick up this model in such good condition and at a very affordable price.  Smiley

Over the years since then I have found the Harding 13incher to be an excellent allrounder and possibly a little more versatile than my 12 inch Billmans, due to the slightly larger diameter and the slightly longer and better quality legs.

IP Logged  

Advertisement

Reply #34 - May 31st, 2020 at 8:20am

Jimfish   Offline
COCIA® New Member
I Love COCIA

Ridgley, Tasmania, Australia

poddy dodger wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 6:21pm:
G'day Maloney.
I've been told the newer Harding ovens are easy to pick as they have a ten digit phone number on the lid which begins with 03 and not 053 like yours. Not sure which year we went to ten digit phone numbers so that baby of yours pre-dates that.
BTW what size is that one ? Some Hardings have the size on the lid, some don't.

pd

1996 was the year Ballarat changed from 053 to 03 area code I believe.

IP Logged  

Reply #35 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 9:54pm

poddy dodger   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Yep, that sounds about right.
Jimfish, see private messages.

When I die I hope my missus doesn't sell my camp ovens  for what I told her I paid for them. pd
IP Logged  

Reply #36 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 10:49pm

Jeff Hunter   Offline
COCIA® New Member
I Love COCIA

Wandin North, Victoria, Australia

After reading the blog I dug mine out - it’s a 7” with 053 prefix number followed by 6 numbers to make the phone number. I believe it was about the last to be poured in the ground. The foundry was on the cnr of Armstrong and Doveton st Nth Ballarat and use to play around there as a kid. Uncle lived down the road in Armstrong St.

IP Logged  

Advertisement

Reply #37 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 7:50pm

Chesapeake   Offline
COCIA® Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

Orbost, Victoria, Australia

A 13" Harding just went for $820 on Ebay. Is that some kind of record . Mine cost $87 in about 1987.They are a nice oven.

IP Logged  

Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 8:53pm

poddy dodger   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Chesapeake wrote on Jul 22nd, 2020 at 7:50pm:
A 13" Harding just went for $820 on Ebay. Is that some kind of record . Mine cost $87 in about 1987.They are a nice oven.

That is about the most I've seen paid for a 13", shows that they are held in high regard. In my opinion they are about the perfect oven both in size and design, I'm happy to say I have several.

When I die I hope my missus doesn't sell my camp ovens  for what I told her I paid for them. pd
IP Logged  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.8949 seconds.