AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Advice for a newbie (Read 6928 times)

Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:39pm

LG   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Bunbury, Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Aquarius

Recently we went camping next to a river which supposedly has lots of Bream and Redfin Perch in it.

Never fished a river before (always salt water from the beach or from a boat in the gulf) so no idea what we were supposed to do.  We bought some rubber 'squigees' touted as being Bream bait.

Not even a nibble...
We tried with a sinker, without a sinker, letting it sit still, 'jiggling' along by dipping and jerking the rod tips etc etc

So, to keep life harmonious next time we get the chance to camp next to a river - how are you supposed to catch freshwater fish?

TIA

frustrated LG

The judge's decision is final... unless the 3rd umpire is called for... or a facebook campaign goes viral !!!

All comments are my personal opinion only and/or based on real life experiences.  No debate will be entered into.
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 10:10pm

Stillcroozin   Offline
COCIA® Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Redfin eh? I guess you're a southerner then. I've never fished for redfin, but I'm a big fan of using local bait whether fishing fresh or salt.
Most fresh water streams in my part of the country contain freshwater shrimp. They look like a small translucent prawn. You can make a shrimp trap from an empty 2 litre soft drink bottle. The internet is full of "how to's" on that subject. Very few freshwater fish will pass up a well presented shrimp.
Soft plastics do catch fish but some days the fish just don't know the rules.

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now.
IP Logged  

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 5:32pm

LG   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Mood:

You're correct Stillcroozin, we were camped alongside the Blackwood River in the southwest of WA

Found an article regarding Bream in the Blackwood and now think we may have been biting off way more than we can chew this soon in the adventure....   Wink

http://www.hotbite.com.au/content/fishing_articles_wa/?artid=487&thePage=3

The judge's decision is final... unless the 3rd umpire is called for... or a facebook campaign goes viral !!!

All comments are my personal opinion only and/or based on real life experiences.  No debate will be entered into.
IP Logged  

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 7:18pm

Stillcroozin   Offline
COCIA® Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Wow, they're stonking bream. Are they catching them in the lower reaches or right up in the fresh?

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now.
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 7:54pm

LG   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Mood:

Currently reading a report re monitoring salinity and how much should be taken from the yarragadee aquifer as it affects how much freshwater swells up from the ground in some areas, which in turn affects an endangered pygmy perch...  IT also mentions freshwater cobbler, 2 species of minnow and something called a nightfish. Either Bream weren't relevant to the environmental study or they don't appear in the areas covered (Denny Road - Nannup region)

I haven't found anything yet like a map showing which bits of the Blackwood are considered fully freshwater and which bits are saline.   I am going to assume it is the more saline areas where the Bream are being caught... Warner Glen/Alexandra Bridge down to Malloy Island ...shrugs

IP Logged  

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 8:08pm

LG   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Mood:

Found a rant on a Bream Master forum, regarding the 'mining' of water from the aquifer which answers one my questions ...how much of the Blackwood is salty?

" The lower Blackwood some 40 miles inland from the hardy inlet at Augusta right up to Warner Glen bridge gets saltwater tidal influence from the Blackwood rivermouth at Augusta so the freshwater species like marron and the freshwater insects can't live down there. "

Src http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2795

Will spend some time on that forum over the next year learning how to fish the Blackwood, since we tend to camp along it, or one of its tributaries (or WA's version of the Murray River) a fair bit.

IP Logged  

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 8:26pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

LG wrote on Apr 20th, 2013 at 7:54pm:
I haven't found anything yet like a map showing which bits of the Blackwood are considered fully freshwater and which bits are saline.

Stick your tongue in it.  Soon find out if it's salt water.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 8:27pm

LG   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Mood:

LOL ya dag

IP Logged  

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 10:54pm

shackles   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Yorke Peninsula, South Australia, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Cancer

I was once in a fishing club down here in SA.. We had Salt Water and Fresh Water competitions each year. The Fresh Water competitions were always held in the Murray River as it is the only large Fresh Water river we had. Now days they still fish the Murray but only have Salt Water competitions. Grin

Can't Get Full On Fancy
IP Logged  

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 12:13am

LG   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Mood:

The WA River Murray is salt water... it runs through Lane Poole Reserve and the fresh water Nanga Brook joins it where we often camp. 

We usually grab a bucket of fresh water (for bathing, laundry etc) from the Nanga overpass before we head further up the track to Stringers which is on the bank of the Murray and a popular spot for kayak/canoe launching. 

There is a trout ladder at the Nanga Brook 'waterfall' but I haven't seen anyone actually fishing there (yet)

IP Logged  

Pages: 1 2 
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.8969 seconds.