AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA (COCIA)
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time - DST
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DO seasoning (Read 7977 times)

Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:17am

goody59   Offline
COCIA® Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

Whittlesea Victoria, Australia

IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:57am

LG   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Bunbury, Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Aquarius

It is a good read and very thorough.  Way too scientific for my poor brain though. 
I will skip the expensive time-limited flaxseed in favour of the more economic supermarket items
Plain old canola and olive oil have been doing the job fine for me for quite a while   Smiley

The judge's decision is final... unless the 3rd umpire is called for... or a facebook campaign goes viral !!!

All comments are my personal opinion only and/or based on real life experiences.  No debate will be entered into.
IP Logged  

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:26am

Fryer_man   Offline
COCIA® Silver Member
i love Camp Oven CookIng
Anywhere!

East Newbridge, New Brunswick, Canada

I'm with you LG. Keep it simple.

It's interesting to read about the science behind it, but according to a couple of chemists who read the article when she posted it on Chowhound, she doesn't really get that part right. The person commenting as "permutations" is the author of the article.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/684109#5362030

It seems kinda silly really. My Gram would probably just oil up a new pan (with whatever oil was handy) and start cooking. Seasoning was always just something that happened over time, not a complicated ritual to be followed.

Chris

IP Logged  

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 11:32am

Derek   Online
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

Have read this before you posted it and it is quite interesting but at the end of the day the KISS principle works for me.  Oil and heat (around 500 Fahrenheit)

Fryer_man wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:26am:
My Gram would probably just oil up a new pan (with whatever oil was handy)

Way back when my Gandma was alive I reckon she would most likely have used an animal fat rather than a processed oil.  Smiley

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 1:24pm

Fryer_man   Offline
COCIA® Silver Member
i love Camp Oven CookIng
Anywhere!

East Newbridge, New Brunswick, Canada

Derek,

There was always a little tin canister to keep the bacon drippings in. It saved money to use that instead of store bought lard or shortening.

People sometimes talk about certain kinds of oil being more healthy than others. Maybe for cooking, but I can't see how it would matter after it has been reduced to a thin layer of carbon seasoning. I have used several different oils, both plant and animal, with good results.

IP Logged  

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 2:32pm

Little_Kopit   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
& I, I took the road less
traveled by.

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Ok, to the animal fat vs. plant oil question.

1) When you got all the exercise of my grandparents and maybe your great grandparents, ie those born before World War I, then using animal fat was just as healthy as plant oil today.

So, do you walk 20 miles or so a day, chop down a few trees,  and do most of your days doings with manual labour.  Then ok,

Back in the day, early 20th c. or earlier, you salted the pork for your bacon yourself.  & you salted your fish yourself.    Chances are that salt contributed to a shorter lifespan.  Bacon fat salt probably shortens cast iron life, too.

2) Where you do your seasoning?  I use my in house oven, thank you.   If I buy a used cast iron item, I put it through the oven at seasoning temperature, ie. over 405'F to 420'F /205'C- 215'C.  Chances are I'll get and odor. 

Then I put on the plant oil - olive, sunflower, safflower, walnut,....... (not peanut oil) and put the cast iron item through the seasoning again.  .......... the usual 3 times.  No odor, thank you.

Of course in the old days, when the rv was a covered wagon, just cooking the day's meals did the seasoning.

& yes, what you season with does get into the food, some more than others, of course, ie. that with more liquid, especially tomatoes.

Undecided

IP Logged  

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 6:29pm

Derek   Online
COCIA® Owner
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

Little_Kopit wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 2:32pm:
Ok, to the animal fat vs. plant oil question.

1) When you got all the exercise of my grandparents and maybe your great grandparents, ie those born before World War I, then using animal fat was just as healthy as plant oil today.

So, do you walk 20 miles or so a day, chop down a few trees,  and do most of your days doings with manual labour.  Then ok,

Back in the day, early 20th c. or earlier, you salted the pork for your bacon yourself.  & you salted your fish yourself.    Chances are that salt contributed to a shorter lifespan.  Bacon fat salt probably shortens cast iron life, too.

2) Where you do your seasoning?  I use my in house oven, thank you.   If I buy a used cast iron item, I put it through the oven at seasoning temperature, ie. over 405'F to 420'F /205'C- 215'C.  Chances are I'll get and odor. 

Then I put on the plant oil - olive, sunflower, safflower, walnut,....... (not peanut oil) and put the cast iron item through the seasoning again.  .......... the usual 3 times.  No odor, thank you.

Of course in the old days, when the rv was a covered wagon, just cooking the day's meals did the seasoning.

& yes, what you season with does get into the food, some more than others, of course, ie. that with more liquid, especially tomatoes.

Undecided

I couldn't agree more.

Last trip to the Doctor for my annual check up and he tells me my cholestrol is up a bit from last year.  Not too high but worth keeping an eye on.  He told me to reduce my intake of animal fats.

I am 60 years old and consider myself reasonably fit but when the Doc says something like that you sit up and take notice.  It is then that you start looking at what animal fats you actually do eat and it is surprising and every little bit adds up.

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2014 at 10:12am

ulua   Offline
COCIA® Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

mundubbera, Australia

so my only experience with seasoning was that we filled a new camp oven with mutton fat stuck it on a low fire and kept it there for 3 days minimum and always full to top with mutton fat ..
actually nick Chic at the shop in Charleville did this with all camp ovens before he sold them..
is there actually any benefit to the 3 days .. or is this one trip in oven with olive oil same same

ta
Rob.. just asking as i have got 2 new billmans to burn in  ( season)   sorry if this is  a silly question or has been addressed elsewhere

IP Logged  

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2014 at 12:24pm

Chally   Offline
COCIA® Legend
I Love COCIA

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Rob,

Have a read of this thread if you haven't already. http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1210065993

I season my ovens in a hooded BBQ at about 250 degrees C until they stop smoking and then let the oven cool down enough so I can reoil it and heat it up again. That gives the oven an initial season and using it will do the rest. Smiley

One reason against using animal fat is that if you don't use your ovens often the fat will go rancid.

I have started using organic Coconut oil in preference to Olive oil as it has a lot higher burn point. So far I'm getting better results with it.

Congrats on your new Billmans ovens. You will have to let us know what you think of them and post up some photos. Smiley

Jeff

IP Logged  

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2014 at 3:45pm

ulua   Offline
COCIA® Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

mundubbera, Australia

thanks will try this way ...

rob

IP Logged  

Pages: 1 2 
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.8908 seconds.