AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA® Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA® Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burrum River Session (Read 4158 times)

Dec 18th, 2013 at 1:50am

greenbeest   Offline
COCIA® Silver Member
I Love COCIA

Fraser Coast, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Taurus

Finished arvo shift at 10:30pm on Thursday night & got everything ready to go stay at my mates place at Torbanlea for a 4am start.
Arrived at midnight after packing up the vehicle & having a quick shower after work.
Downed 3 beers when I got there & got to sleep at 1am.
I woke at 3;30am before the alarm on my phone  & thought no point in going back to sleep so i decide to get moving.
I was anticipating a good day as we had decided earlier to target threadfin salmon.
Noel has a few select spots that have paid dividends in the past.
We got to the Burrum River ramp just before 5am.
Saw some prawns jumping so Noel threw the cast net near the ramp & a bit later down river for 1/2 an hour.
Ended up getting half a kilo of prawns for bait.
Put two crab pots in the water first before wetting a line.
The total for the two hours we were on the water wetting a line for was 3 threadfin salmon (biggest was 68cm), 1 stingray, 1 leopard ray & 12 mudcrabs (mostly small stuff) from 2 pots with 1 keeper.
A very good morning.
Home at Noel's just before 9:30
Fish was on the menu for breakfast after returning from the mornings session.
1 Whole fillet for breakfast.
Yum Yum !!

Saturday did the same with a bit later start.
Rebaited the crab pots with threadfin salmon heads & tails.
Fished the same area.
Catch for the day was 1 Threadfin salmon, 1 bull shark just over a metre long & 1 mudcrab which I caught on the rig I was using.
I caught a pike eel which dehooked over the side of the boat.
For those who have not seen or caught one they are nasty critters.
Many crabs were chewing on the fresh bait we presented.
Noel almost got a big buck but the crab let got when he saw the boat.
Just not within reach of the landing net.

I saw something poke its head out of the water & go back under about 20 metres from where we were anchored.
I swear it was a crocodile.
Was definitely not a fish or log.
Noel said he had seen a small one a few weeks prior around the same area.
Got back to the ramp just after 10;30am

Sunday was a bit later start.
Noel threw the cast net to get some bait after we drooped the pots in.

Got 2 salmon, I bull shark a bit smaller than Saturday, 1 pike eel & Noel got 2 grunter which ended up with a new piercing as both had a go at the prawn on an 8/0 hook which pierced through the very front of their head when they chewed down on the hook.
Both survived to live another day.
Only caught 1 catfish for the whole time fishing unlike the Mary River where they are in plague proportions.

Sunday arvo was spent at the pub talking about the great weekend & chatting with  with the locals .
Even amazed them by doing a trick of balancing a schooner glass at an angle on a 20 cent piece.

IP Logged  

Advertisement
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Chally   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

That seems like you had a pretty good weekend. Those fish are nice eating. What you saw in the water was probably a croc alright.

My father built a few of the first homes at Burrum Heads. It used to be known as Traverston. As a kid I spent most school holidays down there and man has the place changed today. My family still have a few homes down there.

Dad used to see the crocs swimming past the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rocks when fishing in the old days. Quite some years ago now my brother and I went down after work (lived in Childers) to fish for Trumpeter over at Black Bank. We were filleting mullet for bait and washing our hands over the side of the boat. I don't know what made me shine the torch around but when I did we saw a three metre croc floating on the surface only ten metres or so from the boat. It hung around for quite some time and I was a bit more careful about washing my hands overboard then. Grin It lived in the small creeks there for years.

About three years ago now three crocs were sighted in the river in a couple of weeks so they are definitely still about. They are in the Susan and Mary Rivers here as well.

Jeff

IP Logged  

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 7:12am

Stump Jump   Offline
COCIA® Platinum Member
I love to cook with camp
ovens

Victoria, Victoria, Australia

Zodiac sign: Cancer

Looks a tasty feed of fish Cool

IP Logged  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 2.0852 seconds.