AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA (COCIA)
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

Search Member Map Login Me InRegister

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 
Send Topic Print
jclures DIY crossover camper (Read 71887 times)

Reply #350 - Jun 6th, 2021 at 11:19am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Herberton, Queensland, Australia

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

I have always had a fridge in the Nissan, but with using the camper I have used it more as a freezer/fridge. It is handy in the Nissan but I think it would be better to have it in the camper where it is easier to access when wanted.

So, I have decided to move it into the camper front storage area, along with the solar panels I had on the Nissan roof rack.
I have been slowly removing weight from the Nissan, as the Nissan weight when loaded with fuel and ball weight was Marginal.

I won’t be needing the solar on the Nissan anyhow now as I don’t have the fridge in it, and the extra 100w should help run the extra fridge on the camper batteries anyhow.

I had to lift the fridge draw runners to clear the door frame so I decided to make a 100mm high frame to sit the runners on.
I can fit under the fridge my water hose, air hose plus the bag of cables I have for my portable solar if I ever need to use them.

The solar panels should be easy to do as I already have the wiring running to the roof of the front storage area.

IP Logged  

Reply #351 - Jun 6th, 2021 at 12:23pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Caretaker
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

It fitted in nicely for sure.

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Reply #352 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 7:12am

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

It fitted in well.
When I was building in the front storage area, I had considered fitting in the fridge in there, but never did it until now.
I will put a filter and a fan outlet into the side door for ventilation. This will work of the same system as the main fridge vent.

IP Logged  

Reply #353 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 3:52pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Caretaker
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Mood:

John, are you using MC4 connectors for your solar panels??  If so have you seen any rust/moisture in them??

Saw a post on a forum the other day where someone was complaining that the connectors inside the MC4 have rusted out.

Have never had a problem with mine but will climb up and pull them all apart when I get home to check.

I remember when I put mine all together I thought the waterproofing was quite good.

Retired
Writer
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Reply #354 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 9:10pm

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Yes, I am using MC4 connectors, and yes I have seen them rust. I have a panel I had on the shed just charging spare batteries that gave me trouble with rust.
I have been using dielectric grease in my plugs for some time now though and have had no trouble with them since using it.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/permatex-permatex-dielectric-grease-.33-oz/3...

IP Logged  

Reply #355 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 11:09pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Caretaker
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Mood:

Thanks for that John.  I am still getting what looks like the same input from the solar as when I installed it and the motorhome is never garaged so subject to weather but worth checking out now I know.

Retired
Writer
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Reply #356 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 8:55pm

jclures   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

I have fitted the last of the charging and battery up grades with the fitting of a Victron smart shunt. This unit is stand alone as it does not have any display options other than using blue tooth.
It was easy to fit into my system as I already had a buzz bar for all of my negative wires.
Once fitted it is now only a few steps to get the settings right.
It also has networked it self to the solar regulator to help with management of the system.
I have recently bought a small slow cooker, thanks Derek. Smiley This has a draw of 150w, so I used it to do a test on how things are working.
I ran it on high for around three hours, drawing around the 150w of power using the inverter for power. It said when I finished the test, I used 33Ah in that time.
I also had no solar or chargers running in that time.

IP Logged  

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.8379 seconds.