AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

SearchOur Members Member Map Login Me InRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Massive Cast Iron Pot (Read 1402 times)

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:48pm

VB   Offline
COCIA® New Member
I Love COCIA

Katherine, Northern Territory, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Aries

The  camp ovens from Alexandria Station NT were ordered during the time Bill Young “ the Rager “ was the manager in the 1950s. The common story of how they came to be that size is that one of the stockcamp cooks put in an order in for some new camp ovens but forgot to say what size. The bookkeeper kept humbugging old Bill to find out what size the cook wanted when he was next out there checking on the  Stockcamp. On returning to the station one day after being out to the camp the bookkeeper again asked the Rager about the camp oven sizes and being in a bad mood Bill threw his arms in the air and said “ about that bloody big” . The bookkeeper thought to himself Bills arms were about 3ft apart so went on to  get the campovens made and the rest is history!  Apparently they were never used for their desired purpose but made great feed troughs in the pig pens at Alexandria. There is one displayed on the lawn at the Avon Downs police station and another at Alexandria station amongst other historic gear.

IP Logged  

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 9:02pm

Chally   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love COCIA

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

VB wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:48pm:
and another at Alexandria station amongst other historic gear.

Thanks for adding that VB. All six are accounted for being; 1 Avon Downs, 1 Ned Winters, 1 Mt Isa Museum, 2 at Townsville and one at Warwick plus a spare lid at the Drovers Camp Camooweal. I think the one at Alexandria Station is no longer there and is one of the above.

Jeff

IP Logged  

Pages: 1 2 
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 1.0959 seconds.