AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN COOKING IN AUSTRALIA (COCIA)
AND CAMPING CHAT FORUMS
WITH 'THE CAMP OVEN COOKS' - DEREK & MAGGIE BULLOCK

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

COCIA® Forum COCIA Website COCIA® On Youtube COCIA Photo Gallery Support

Forum Help Camp Oven Seasoning Heat Bead Calculator

Search Member Map Login Me InRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reheating from frozen (Read 235 times)

Jun 10th, 2021 at 10:26am

Nige   Offline
COCIA® New Member
I Love COCIA

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Hi guys
We (family of four) are heading away to Ningaloo for 11 days of free camping in a couple off weeks.

Our plan was to pre-cook our most of our dinners, freeze them and then reheat them when required to make things easier for us and not having manage 2 hangry kids while waiting for dinner to cook  Grin

We don't have a lot of experience cooking in an camp oven, and thought it would be easier to do this, instead if having to prep food etc. We have a Hillbilly Bush-king.

Whats everyone's thoughts on how they cook while camping remotely?

Appreciate your input.
Cheers

IP Logged  

Advertisement
Heat Beads
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 6:20am

Cactus   Online
COCIA® Diamond Member
I Love Camp Oven Cooking

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius

If you can keep it frozen then that is the way to go, my wife prepares food this way.

Have Camp Oven will travel
IP Logged  

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 9:48am

Bear   Offline
COCIA® Platinum Member
I Love COCIA

Glasshouse Mountains, Qld, Australia

We take a few frozen meals especially if we are long hauling between centres. Nothing worse after 8 hours towing than preparing a meal. If doing short hauls and staying for a day or two fresh cooking in a camp oven can be relaxing. Also a good way to give the kids some life lessons.

IP Logged  

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 1:49pm

Derek   Offline
COCIA® Caretaker
The "Camp Oven Cook"

Lockyer Valley, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Virgo

This is a great subject and actually goes right back to how and why this forum and my website originally came about.

First of all I enjoy cooking.

Many years ago when my kids were little we used to regularly camp. Back then no fridge just an eski where you hoped the ice didn’t melt to fast.

Often we would start a trip with a couple of prepared meals and after that things got pretty basic.

We were camped at Emu Park in a caravan park and my then wife went for a walk and when she got back she said there is a woman down there cooking a roast chicken in a big tin. I went to investigate.

What I found was this lovely lady using a Bedourie camp oven and coals from a barbecue to cook a roast dinner.

I was fascinated and had a talk to her. She told me she had a book and would lend it to me. That book was Jack Absolams Outback Cooking in a The Outback.

I sat in that park and read it from cover to cover and what it showed me was that you can cook anything in a camp oven.

When we got home I purchased a Bedourie Camp Oven and Jacks book and proceeded to cook all sorts. Even things people said I couldn’t.

I started to research camp oven cooking on the Internet and found very little so decided to build the website. That was fun.

Lots of things happened from there. I started writing for a magazine, was part of a TV show, started to do camp oven cooking demos, built this forum. Best of all was when we started our Camp Oven Gatherings. Have to thank Aart for that.

Where am I going with this?  Well if you enjoy cooking then in the bush with your Hillbilly Oven, and yes I have used them as well, you can cook anything. Just do some preparation before hand and know what by you need.

Also as has been mentioned make it something for the whole family to enjoy while sitting around the campfire.

Check out the recipe section where there are heaps of true and tried camp oven recipes.

Retired
Writer
Amateur Ornithologist (Twitcher)
Camp Oven Cook
Epicurean
IP Logged  

Advertisement
Heat Beads
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 3:38pm

Kevvie   Offline
COCIA® Diamond Member
COCIA is one cool group

Beenleigh, Queensland, Australia

Mood:
Zodiac sign: Libra

Hi Nige
Welcome to the forum. Wink

Hi Derek
Great read thank you
regards Kevvie Wink

IP Logged  

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 10:21pm

Nige   Offline
COCIA® New Member
I Love COCIA

Cactus wrote on Jun 11th, 2021 at 6:20am:
If you can keep it frozen then that is the way to go, my wife prepares food this way.

Thanks for the reply.  Smiley

IP Logged  

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 10:25pm

Nige   Offline
COCIA® New Member
I Love COCIA

Bear wrote on Jun 11th, 2021 at 9:48am:
We take a few frozen meals especially if we are long hauling between centres. Nothing worse after 8 hours towing than preparing a meal. If doing short hauls and staying for a day or two fresh cooking in a camp oven can be relaxing. Also a good way to give the kids some life lessons.

Sounds like making some pre-made meals is the way to go.
Cant wait to have a cook up!

IP Logged  

Advertisement
Heat Beads
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 10:29pm

Nige   Offline
COCIA® New Member
I Love COCIA

Derek wrote on Jun 11th, 2021 at 1:49pm:
This is a great subject and actually goes right back to how and why this forum and my website originally came about.

First of all I enjoy cooking.

Many years ago when my kids were little we used to regularly camp. Back then no fridge just an eski where you hoped the ice didn’t melt to fast.

Often we would start a trip with a couple of prepared meals and after that things got pretty basic.

We were camped at Emu Park in a caravan park and my then wife went for a walk and when she got back she said there is a woman down there cooking a roast chicken in a big tin. I went to investigate.

What I found was this lovely lady using a Bedourie camp oven and coals from a barbecue to cook a roast dinner.

I was fascinated and had a talk to her. She told me she had a book and would lend it to me. That book was Jack Absolams Outback Cooking in a The Outback.

I sat in that park and read it from cover to cover and what it showed me was that you can cook anything in a camp oven.

When we got home I purchased a Bedourie Camp Oven and Jacks book and proceeded to cook all sorts. Even things people said I couldn’t.

I started to research camp oven cooking on the Internet and found very little so decided to build the website. That was fun.

Lots of things happened from there. I started writing for a magazine, was part of a TV show, started to do camp oven cooking demos, built this forum. Best of all was when we started our Camp Oven Gatherings. Have to thank Aart for that.

Where am I going with this?  Well if you enjoy cooking then in the bush with your Hillbilly Oven, and yes I have used them as well, you can cook anything. Just do some preparation before hand and know what by you need.

Also as has been mentioned make it something for the whole family to enjoy while sitting around the campfire.

Check out the recipe section where there are heaps of true and tried camp oven recipes.

I was Googling camp oven recipes and found this website.
Its bloody great and so has everything needed.
Great work seting it all up.
I'll try and remember to post a couple of my master chef creations  Grin

IP Logged  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

CAMP OVEN COOKING AND CAMPING IN AUSTRALIA CHAT FORUMS Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.5564 seconds.