AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN & OUTDOOR COOKING
AND CAMPING FORUM

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

Our ForumsForum Help Privacy Policy Search

RegisterLogin Me In

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Size Comparison Gas Volcano 12" CO (Read 5291 times)

Mar 9th, 2010 at 7:55pm

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

This shows the size comparison of my 12" Mulley CO, the collapsed Volcano ll ready to go in its bag and a portable gas stove.

IP Logged  

Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 8:13pm

69conroy   Offline
COCIA Platinum Member
I Love COCIA

Pt Augusta, South Australia, Australia

Zodiac sign: Libra

so we  can asume you are happy
with volcano  Smiley

Daryl

IP Logged  

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 8:39pm

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

I couldnt have cooked using beads here without it or a Cobb.  Although there is not a fire ban in the area the caravan park like many places have decreed a "Complete Fire Ban".  A phone call got me permission to use heat beads for cooking and I am in a discreet corner and there has been no complaints. 

I feel its still being tested by me for my own uses and its coming up pretty good.  I can lift and move it reasonably well which is a plus for me.  I dont feel confident enough with my cooking yet to be in the all around the fireside cooking at cogs so it means I can cook in an environment I can cope with. 

Its a pity it doesnt have the gas connection they have in the usa as that would add to its usefulness.  Sparky will look at that in due course. I have a Camp Oven Mate that covers that but the whole idea for me is to cut back at times the amount of equipment taken camping.

I like that it fits my existing cast iron and Sparky the compactness of it and so far (except for the rye bread) the food I have cooked him this week.  Cheesy

I realise I am using it simply as a fireplace and it can cook food in a lot more ways but thats mostly what I wanted it for and thats what I am practising at the moment.  Cheesy

IP Logged  

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 4:26pm

Kingsthorpe David   Offline
COCIA Hall Of Fame

Zodiac sign: Aries

Carolyn™ wrote on Mar 9th, 2010 at 8:39pm:
I couldnt have cooked using beads here without it or a Cobb.

A Cobb and a Volcano have different applications for different requirements.
A Cobb will take up to 9 Heat Beads and is good for cooking a small chicken or roast to about 1kg on the Cobb Roasting Rack. A 10" camp oven can be sat in the fire basket with the fire directly under the centre of the pot.

A Volcano Cook Stove will take up to 30 Heat Beads and up to a 12" camp oven. The ashed up Heat Beads are pushed to the side of the fire chamber so the fire is not directly under the pot.

"The heat generated by the coals is a combination of the vent setting in the bottom of the stove and the ability of that incoming air to escape out the top through the slotted grill when in place. Look at it where the bottom vents are a fine adjustment and any restriction on top of the slotted grill is a coarse adjustment. It is really up to you as to how much air you want to block. Placing a restrictor plate similar to the size of that which I have in the book guarantees that the bottom of a Dutch oven receives minimum heat. Lots of heat directly on the bottom of a Dutch oven will cause food to burn.  I hope that answers your question David.
When the radiant heat from the charcoal is reflected back into the stove, with the centre grill in place, the fire generates more superheated air without requiring more energy from the coals.  The available superheated air is allowed to get hotter than it would be if it were allowed to escape with no restriction. This stove was not designed to use the radiant heat from the coals, but instead use the controllable super heated airflow generated by controlling combustion in the fire chamber. FOR PEOPLE THAT USE THE STOVE ONLY FOR GRILLING A HAMBURGER NOW AND THEN, THE STOVE IS PROBABLY CONFUSING.
Richard Boetcker." (Volcano Cook Stove inventor)

KD

IP Logged  

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 6:05pm

COCIA Hall Of Fame

Carolyn™ wrote on Mar 9th, 2010 at 8:39pm:
I feel its still being tested by me for my own uses and its coming up pretty good

USE THE SLOTTED CENTRE GRILL/UPPER VENT!

KD

IP Logged  

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 6:59pm

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

Geez David I am a mere female dont confuse me with science  Cheesy

So far what I have cooked has been fine - no burnt bottoms.

Its taken me till now to realise the round vent fits in the middle  Cheesy  Cheesy

IP Logged  

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 8:36pm

COCIA Hall Of Fame

Carolyn™ wrote on Mar 10th, 2010 at 6:59pm:
Its taken me till now to realise the round vent fits in the middle

Use it!
Now we are getting somewhere!
The rest of the instructions are in the mail to you.

KD

IP Logged  

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:48am

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

Thanks David I will read them with interest, just a warning I usually start instructions from the back page  Cheesy  Cheesy

IP Logged  

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 9:34pm

Carolyn™   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

Thanks for the info David it was here when I go home today.  I will read it tomorrow with a fresher mind  Cheesy  Cheesy

IP Logged  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

Australia’s Very Own Camp Oven & Outdoor Cooking And Camping Forum Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 1.0376 seconds.

Privacy Policy

Registration Agreement